Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Meaning Beneath the Ink

Rather than studying for my final final of the year or packing up my stuff so I can move out tomorrow, I'm blogging. Not the most productive, but I really don't want to study (I got this test) or pack (I got that too). I've been pondering a lot lately, specifically pondering about my tattoos.


Ever since I began the outline on my sleeve I find myself encountering questions on almost a daily basis. "Is that real?" "Did that hurt?" "Are you going to fill it in?" "Is that ink pen?" Are several of the questions I find myself being impromtu-quizzed by regularly.  It's not very often though that a person asks me about the meaning of the tattoo, or any of my tattoos for that matter. This isn't how it is for just me, I can imagine this happens to tatted up folks everywhere. Which, when I think about it, is rather sad. Tattoos are often described as art or self-expression. Both art and self-expression more often than not contain a great deal of personal meaning.  Why then, are the viewers of tattoos not concerned with this? Nine times out of ten you will just be asked about how it felt, how much it cost, or how long the work took. Very seldom are you asked why, or what the meaning of the tattoo is. Maybe it's because that's viewed as "personal" and nobody wants to pry. I'm not sure. When I am faced with questions regarding the why and meaning of my ink my face lights up. I know this because I can feel it in the smile that spreads from ear to ear. Not because I like talking about my tat or just talking in general, but because the person asking that question is attempting to attain a greater understanding of my self-expression. If I help them to understand, hopefully they'll be more appreciative of artwork that individuals choose to put on their bodies.

There's nothing wrong with liking a tattoo someone has, or that you have, simply because it "looks cool" or has "pretty colors." However, I'll bet that you'll like that tattoo a great deal more if you ask the bearer of that particular ink about the art. Not just the how much and how long questions, but the why and the what questions that pertain to the history and meaning of the artwork.

On a somewhat different note, if you ask someone about the meaning of their tattoo and they can't tell you, their answer is just "I liked it," "It looked cool in the book," or "I just wanted a tattoo" then, sadly, it's probably not a tattoo worth having. Tattoos that are worth having (no matter how they appear) have depth. No, not like deep into your skin, but depth  through history and meaning.

So next time you have a friend who gets some new ink or you come across someone bearing beautiful artwork, don't just ask them the general questions of pain and cost. Suck it up, be brave, and try asking them what their tattoo stands for and what it means to them. You'll be surprised at what you learn.

2 comments:

  1. So, what do the three finches symbolize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the bird is often seen as a symbol of life and/or death, and the aspen tree symbolizes strength and determination. So through my own interpretation it stands for having strength and determination through life and death. Plus I feel like the lyrics in the song "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley (where the 3 birds idea came from to start out) are good words pertaining to life in general. I think that about sums it up.

    ReplyDelete