Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Orientation of the I

Now, I'm a little unsure as to how to begin this rant. Bare with me, though, it might be a bit shaky or awkward, but I'll get there.

Is it just me, or are people the most selfish beings there are? Granted, I often think of myself as a giving individual, but it's empirically evident (to me at least) that this "I" orientation plagues human kind. Let's pause there for a second. If you've ever met me, you know I'm not one of those "Let's all love each other and hold hands" kind of people (if you are I'm not doggin' on you). Not even close.

Look at the debt crisis currently. It's going to continue to worse at the hands of the individuals we voted into position. At this rate the dollar will be worth nothing and our wonderful recession will be even more difficult to crawl out of. I can't wait. And why? In my own ridiculous opinion it's because the majority of the House and the Senate representatives have become so consumed by their status and wanting more for themselves that they are too afraid to stain that status. Even if it means betterment for all. They focus on themselves and their own agendas. It's shameful really.

I'm sure all of us can recall a time at work when a person's selfishness made it difficult for everyone. I see parents behaving selfishly with their children more and more. I've watched a mother order herself and her boyfriend food, while her two young children asked for food because they were hungry too. Mind you, she ordered nothing for them. This sort of thing just makes me mad. I don't understand it.

It's surprising how something as small as always using "I" language and statements can make the people around you feel. If you aren't thinking about the friends/family/significant other around or with you enough to include them in the ideas/subjects you're discussing it's obvious you're only thinking of yourself. We all do it. Some more often than others. For those who this happens more often, I hope you can stop and think about someone other than yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment