Thursday, March 24, 2011

Typography, debate, and music for the soul



Nothing gets my brain going at 9 o'clock in the morning, sometimes earlier, than some typography.  Now I say typography and you think...letters...wow....cool.  But this  is about so much more than letters. This is about letterform.  There's just something about those ascenders, descenders, eyes, crotches, loops, and links that I can't get over.  Letter form presents such a challenge.  Especially in the typographical realm.  A challenge?  You may find yourself pondering that this very second.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  The challenge is in problem solving.  Its in taking letterform and abstracting it, or organizing it, or presenting it in a manner that speaks to the viewer.  Whether as a font specimen, an event poster, or simply a work of art its a challenge to take a predetermined form or several of them and create a strong, interesting composition.

The two pieces above were completed for my typography class.  The goal of the assignment was to first take a singular letterform (bottom) and a letter and a number (top) and abstract them or arrange them in such a manner that you created an artistic composition.  The one on the bottom is on of my favorites.  The second I saw the leg on that k, I had to have it.  And the top one, it reminds me of the Bauhaus which happens to be one of my favorite artistic movements/schools.  I feel as though I was rather successful in solving the problem, as were a number of my classmates.  Its great to see so many succeeding and developing as artists.  Its the best part of wakin up.

So I know that I'm long winded in the blogs, but I like to talk and I have a lot to say. Deal.  On that note, let's make a transition into debate.  So currently I'm preparing for some hardcore Lincoln-Douglas debate at the national meet in a week and a half.  Connecticut here I come, hope I'm ready.  The topic deals with provisions the USFG provides for the chronically mentally ill.  Let me tell you something about this, it makes me want to break things sometimes.  Not really, it just frustrates me.  Today, however, after a great run through and series of revelations with my POI, Jessica Hurless and I dove into some intense discussion on the topic and a case I've begun work on.  Notice intense is bold......that's because it got heated, almost.  Not like angry heated, but our voices were definitely above what one would normally expect to hear during a meeting between an instructor and student.  This has been some of the most helpful discussion I've had, and after getting over being slightly agitated about it.  The revelations kept coming.  I'll take a good argument any day, thank you for that Jessica.

I know I don't have to tell you this, but damn can life get stressful or what?  Sheesh, some days I can just feel like I may fall apart into tears for no reason and others I bite everyones head off.  (This is not PMS, it is stress.  I promise.)  It those days that I have addict like cravings.  But not for any sort of drug.  For music.  Ahhhhhhhhh music.  I've always found something calming about music.  Not just calming though.  Music can be motivating, soothing, comforting, empowering and so many other things.  I suppose its unfair to say that I only crave music on certain days.  It really is every day.  I truly is my belief that music and medicine are indeed one and the same.

With that I would just like to clarify one thing.  Its not just music that's for the soul, at least not for me.  This is easy to see through these passages.  Typography, debate, and music are all food for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment