Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Discussing Common Courtesy

As I rock out to Louder Than Ever by Cold War Kids I'm reflecting on some conversation had merely minutes ago between myself and one of my classmates, Laura. We often sit in the back of the mac lab during digital design and shoot the shit. Today we stumbled across the topic of common courtesy. Let me tell you all something, after hearing someone who holds some of the same perspectives I do in regards to common courtesy, I feel like much less of a bitch. I'm almost unsure of how I could have even mistaken myself for such a thing. Almost.

As a bit of enlightenment, common courtesy has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Or at least when people fail at having any sort of common courtesy at all. I have encountered a number of situations where my patients are put to the test by these lacking individuals. Sometimes I maintain composure, other times.....not so much. Regardless, I find it completely mind boggling when I come across people who have no concept of common courtesy and how great it can be. Simple things like asking before you eat the left over chinese that doesn't belong to you, giving your roommate a heads up about the duration of a guests stay, or putting down the toilet seat. These tiny little things can make life so much easier, but there are so many people  out there who just don't. This frustrates me. Sometimes its rather infuriating. I guess what it comes down to is how you were raised, and let me tell you what discipline in the form a spanking was easily avioded by implementing common courtesy rather than just being rude or negligent. Thank you mom for that. It hurt, but I learned. Too bad it's not okay to backhand other adults as a form a disipline.

1 comment:

  1. Love that song <3

    The biggest one ever: if you are walking through a door and someone is right behind you, HOLD IT OPEN. Not that you need to stop and let them walk through before you like they are your grandma, but at the very least pause for a second until they have their hand on it. Sheesh. Have the slightest awareness about something other than your headphones.

    ReplyDelete