Monday, January 9, 2012

Impatience = Antithesis of Virtue

As any true American I often find myself lacking patience. American's desire to have everything and anything they could possibly need/want in an instant has forever changed the world. Now, whether or not that change is for the better is not the direction in which I'm heading with this post.

In reflection of the last few days I've found myself wondering if growing irritated when a friend takes more than four minutes to make it out to my car is a good thing. (Yes, I'm so impatient that I watched how long it took.) I was in no rush. Does that make my irritability irrational? More than likely the answer to that question is yes. I really wish for my hair to be a great deal longer, and I know this will take time for my hair to grow. Does this matter to my lack of patience? Not a whole lot. In my mind it should be long and it should be long right now, dammit. This impatience generally results in a growing desire to cut my hair, which is exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish. 

We Americans have forgotten that the principles that apply to our greasy and fast burgers and fries do not apply to life. I don't see this being corrected any time soon on a societal level, so the best I can do is work on a more patient me.

1 comment:

  1. P.S.

    Thank you to all my readers for reading this nonsense! To those who spread the word about Elephants Never Forget I give you many thanks! I honestly never thought more than five people would read this silly thing and now I have readers from the US, Europe, Russia, India and all sorts of other crazy places! You all make my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete