Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I make popcorn for a living

As I have mentioned before, I work at Target. For the most part my time at Target has been spent behind the counter at Food Avenue (all of you non-Target employee folk may know it as the "snack bar") making things like sandwiches, pretzels, cookies, and of course popcorn. I don't mind working over here at all. In fact, you might even say I enjoy the work I do at Food Avenue. I always enjoy working in good ole' Food Ave, almost. 

There's nothing that ruins a good Food Ave day more than a rude guest. Now, let me clarify something, I say "guest" rather than customer because thats what we're told to do at work, but I'm also going to use this to prove a point in a second. People who return a nearly half eaten pizza because it didn't look like the picture on the menu board, yell because corporate (not the person behind the counter) bumped prices up eight cents, return a salad because the chicken was cold (she watched me pull it out of the fridge), or get angry because I didn't save "your hotdog" that you didn't pay for. For some reason some of our "guests" think that just because I'm the one working behind the counter that I'm stupid and it's okay to be rude and repugnant. 

Now, as a Target employee, a "host" at Target so to speak, I am expected to treat the guest respectably and be the most helpful person in red and khaki you have ever come across. I have no problem with this whatsoever. I do, however, have a problem when these so called guests fail to behave as such. People forget that they're out in public and their peers are observing and judging the way they behave. They also forget that the world doesn't revolve around them and think it's okay to treat those helping them as less than. This doesn't just happen in food, it happens everywhere in Target, and nearly any place you go in the brilliant US of A these days. Sorry to sound like your mother, but where have we put our manners? Our common courtesy and sense of dignity? Treat others with respect and they may go out of their way to help you, treat them like a piss on nobody and they'll begrudgingly serve you with as little effort as they possibly have to. If I'm held to my position of host then the public should be required to maintain the expectations of a guest.

1 comment:

  1. Well if all of your postings are like this I will quite enjoy reading them. I'm sorry that you have to work with/for/around stupid people, but I think u handle it very well :)

    ReplyDelete