Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Music Exploration

If you all haven't yet noticed, I'm a bit obsessed with music. I genuinely believe that music can serve as an equivalent to medicine. It has healing properties that prescription drugs cannot offer. It's a great place to heal and a safe place to feel. (Stole that line from Mr. Shad) We are able to relate to music in so many different ways and find so many different things within the bars of a song. Sharing music with one another is a way we share parts of ourselves, our points of view, maybe even what's important to us.

It is because of this infatuation with music that I find myself constantly on the hunt for new music. My library grows every time I come home to my lappytop. But I struggle to find "new" music that is worth listening to using itunes and such. I don't know if any of you use StumbleUpon, but I love it. StumbleUpon is a site that you can visit and register with. After registering an account you select your interests then begin stumbling. The site directs you through the web taking you to places that it believes you will find interesting or entertaining. I was stumbling one afternoon and I came across something that may just be the cure to my moody blues (60's music reference anyone?).

This brilliant innovation is TuneGlue. This is site that allows you to type in an artist in the search bar, then as that artist appears in the screen you can "expand" and it will display related artists. You can also expand upon those artists until you've got yourself a musical family tree of sorts.

I've been using this site for a week or two now and I am throughly excited with the exploration of music that the future holds. So, of course I had to share it with all of you. Just follow the link above and find some new music to love, sing to, dance to, rock out to - whatever it is you do while you listen to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment