Monday, July 25, 2011

Get Up, Stand Up.

"Get up, Stand up." The words of Bob Marley that are reiterated by many as they sing along with their music, I bear on my wrists. Nearly a year ago I had this phrase tattooed into my skin. Split in half, "Get up" on the right wrist and "Stand up" on the left. Many notice this and instantly respond, "Bob Marley, awesome." Or something similar to that. This is all well and good, and don't get me wrong I love Mr. Marley's work as an artist and a musician. I feel his work changed the way thousands of individuals perceive important issues. This is not the only reason I decided to make these words a permanent part of my appearance.

I have always believed that an individual should stand up for themselves. Whether it be in a school's halls, workplace, or the streets of our nation. As a child it became obvious to my peers that I had a giving heart, and in realizing this, my kindness was exploited. This was all the lesson I needed to learn that no one is going to stand up for/or with you unless you possess the strength and initiative to do it yourself. From then on I've always stayed true to myself, my values, and my beliefs. Regardless of the issue, I believe it is the individuals' responsibility to get up and stand up for what it is that is right/what it is they believe in. You can't do that sitting at home griping about the news on the TV. You actually have to get up and do something.

This past Friday, my Constitutional rights were obstructed as I spoke out for something I believe in. Does this make me hesitate when it comes to "standing up" in the future. Absolutely not. This only further motivates and energizes me when I think of getting up and getting out there to fight for what I believe in. I fear no obstacle and you better believe that I will not give up the fight.

Friday's Happenings - this is an article about the occurrence on Friday. Check it out if you like. (I was nearly arrested over this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment