Sunday, July 17, 2011

Making a Difference

Summers should not be stressful. This is something I've decided recently. At this point in my life I have decided that the summer is for nice weather, sleeping in, and relaxing. For some reason that's not quite how it's working out, but I guess that's what I get for having such ridiculous expectations. Now don't get disinterested here, I'm not about to go on a whiny rant about how stressed out I am. Calm down.

I have been feeling guilty though. You see, this stress has been causing me to avoid Mr. Lappytop which then leads to blog abandonment. I enjoy writing these posts, and as I look back on them and notice that I have over 900 views. This makes me smile every time I see it. Thank you all for reading! Even if you don't read every post, it's appreciated.

Enough with the sappy stuff. Let's get a decent rant out of this. Recently I have become a part of a political initiative in Nebraska. Now, I could talk about that all day. (You think I'm joking?) What I would really like to talk about is just slightly off on a different tangent.

For the last couple of years I have been thoroughly frustrated with the fact that for some reason my generation, the Millennial Generation, appears to have accepted it negative stigmas of "lazy" "unmotivated" etc. The rest of the general population seems to think that we are a bunch of lazy kids, and what have we done to prove them wrong? As far as I can tell, not a whole lot. Did you know that in previous decades any large political movement that occurred in the United States was greatly impacted by the collegiate generation. That's us, me, maybe you right now. What I want to know now, is what innovative, new, inspiring movement are we the millennials' taking part in? I failed to see one happening and that's where my frustration began. This frustration grew, maybe into somewhat of an obsession. How is it that we can sit back and watch as our nation struggles through times such as these? I have been looking for the past couple of years for a cause to take part in. Something that could change the face of America. I believe I have found that now, and its a great feeling. I feel like each and every one of us should feel this same sort of obligation to make a difference for the better. Not just for ourselves, but for others as well.

I'm not going to preach to you about what it is I've found. If you are curious and would like to know, just ask. I'd be more than happy to discuss it. If you believe in something and there are opportunities for you to take part in action involving that something, do it! (Get registered and go vote for cryin' out loud.) It's one of the most empowering feelings, and I think you might find you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment