Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Man Who Inspires


This music video is the video for the song "Wings" by Macklemore. The video has been waited for by fans for quite sometime now, and in my opinion, it was worth the wait. Watch it, listen to the words and emotion, you'll understand.

I was shown Macklemore's music several months ago. After days that turned into weeks of his music occupying my CD player, or having his albums on repeat on my iPod, I can still listen to all of it without becoming tired of it. The sound, words, feelings, struggles that Ben Haggerty (Macklemore) represents in his music form art that nearly anyone can relate to if the time is taken to listen.

He refuses to be overtaken by the materialistic main-stream that the general public flocks to in ignorance. He speaks honestly of his own hardships and does not portray his life as something it's not. A number of his songs get me choked up and teary-eyed while I listen to them. Not because they're sad, but because there is a genuine quality about his music, his words bring about feelings and emotions that only art of high quality can bring about.

I had the opportunity to witness this performance art firsthand. I traveled to the great state of Colorado, spent some time with friends, and went to a Macklemore show at the Fox Theatre in Boulder. Before the show, Sam and I were walking the Pearl Street Mall when I looked ahead to the crosswalk and said, "Sam, do you know who's in front of us right now?" About eight feet ahead of us at the crosswalk stood Macklemore and his trumpet player (who's name I cannot remember for the life of me). Within seconds I was standing in between Sam and Macklemore. We were shocked. Star struck. Not about to miss this opportunity I said whatsup and stretched my arm toward him for a handshake. We made small talk about the day and the show for a few minutes, and then the walk light turned on. In complete awe we continued through the mall. Even though he is a growing artist, and one who's success is also growing right along with him, he was not too good to chat with some fans about his day. He did not appear inconvenienced by any part of us approaching him. He was just Ben out for a walk on the mall. I will never forget this. His show was at the very least memorable. I shouted through the entire set, jumping, fist pumping, and having some high quality fun.

I hope that I get the opportunity to see him perform again in the future. His music is brilliant, his performance and demeanor, however, are inspiring. I only hope that if I ever become a successful designer/artist I can remain as humble and true as he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment